Saturday, February 7, 2009

1/4 scale Dragster

Growing up in the late 60's and early 70's my interest in drag racing and race cars was fueled by magazines, model kits, and car shows. The front engine dragster was still very popular, although the early 70's would eventually bring about some big changes, the FED was always my favorite. A lot of these old cars are being restored these days for nostalgia drags, Cacklefest, and similar events.




This car was my first attempt at a large scale static model. Although It's not my best effort, this seems to be the one that people like the most.
I've never been happy with it. I never completely finished it actually. At the time it seemed like an overwhelming project, an I was just happy to get it to the point where it looked liked a dragster. Detail is lacking even by my standards, the paint job has some issues that were never resolved, and there are a few parts that I never even bothered to fabricate. In the back of my mind I always thought I would go back to it, maybe redo the whole project. I also considered
using the major components to build a completely different car. In the end I'll probably just leave it be. I really would like to build another one but I think it would be best to start from scratch.

This car is the least documented of everything I've built. Mostly because I was building it just for the hell of it and I really had doubts about even finishing it.











It's an old friend that's been with me through a few moves, and some ups and downs. I almost sold it once, but couldn't bring myself to do it. So I guess I'll just leave it alone..... let it be what it is.........a cool old dragster.......

4 comments:

  1. finished or not on a scale from 1 to 10 I would say its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir i would also like to build one similar to yours. Where did you start? Is it all custom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to build one any direction to. Start

    ReplyDelete