Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A few thoughts on scale models....or, "Why do i build em' so damn big"

I"ll be the first to admit.. I'm NOT a SCALE model kinda guy!!!

There are some builders out there doing some incredible scale work. If you've never heard of Roger "Riceman" Lee, do a search and check out this guys work, its unbelievable!!!! As far as I'm concerned he sets the bar for small scale models. His reference and documentation are as good as it gets, and his craftsmanship is second to none.

Myself, I have always been more interested in the overall look and feel of a model, as opposed to the super scale finishing techniques. I've always approached it as more of an art project than a scale replica. Maybe I'm just lazy.....but from my point of view, these projects are overwhelming from the start, and I'm really not interested in spending the rest of my life on the same model (I'd rather have a couple cold beers)...... I guess I just like em big, seems to be a throwback to my R/C airplane days when Bigger was Better!!!!

So, my hat's off to all you super scale builders, keep up the good work.....

1 comment:

  1. that is how i build my stuff

    keith aka modelcarjedi

    ReplyDelete